Here is a recipe to try that is low in fat but full with flavor. Start by spooning a spread made of roasted eggplant, tomatoes and red onions over crostini and top with marinated artichokes made with a dressing of fresh lemon juice and herbs. Super easy and great for any event.
Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Crostini Topping
- Olive oil, for brushing or use olive oil cooking spray
- 1 red onion, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
- 8 Roma tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 eggplant, about 1 lb., sliced about 1/2 inch thick, unpeeled
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brush oil or spray surface of two half sheet pans, or pans measuring about 13” x 18” with sides. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If not using two ovens, arrange two racks in the oven.
- In one pan, layer onion evenly. Drizzle the balsamic vinegar evenly over the top. Layer the tomatoes over the onions. In the second pan layer the eggplant evenly. Lightly brush olive oil over the top of the vegetables or spray the surface with olive oil spray.
- Place in preheated oven and bake until vegetables are browned and soft, about 30 to 40 minutes for the eggplant and 45 to 55 minutes for the onions and tomatoes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly at room temperature. Using a food processor, pulse to coarsely puree the vegetables together. If chopping by hand, mince with a chef’s knife together. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and season with salt and pepper, adding any juices that have formed from the baking dish and serve.
Lemon Herb Marinated Artichokes
- 2 14-oz cans of undrained artichoke bottoms
- 3 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 t dried Mexican oregano, crushed
- 1/4 t dried basil, crushed
- Garlic powder, dash to taste
- Drain artichokes and reserve the liquid. Cut in to quarters or eighths, depending on desired size.
- Mix liquid from artichokes with fresh lemon juice, sugar, herbs and a pinch of garlic powder to taste.
- Pour over the artichokes and stir to cover. Marinate covered in the refrigerator for about 6 to 8 hours to blend flavors. Stir to ensure marinade coverage.
- For serving, drain marinade and transfer to a dish.
Crostini for the Eggplant and Tomato Spread and Marinated Artichokes
- 1 loaf thin French bread, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
- Arrange single layer on a sheet pan and place under broiler until golden. Turn over and toast other side. Cool and top with Eggplant and Tomato Spread and Marinated Artichokes.